FAQ Topic: Permitting

How do I apply for a golf cart permit?

To obtain a golf cart permit call Belmont’s Code Enforcement Officer at 704-829-4024 and schedule an inspection. The Code Enforcement Officer will inspect and accept the $25 permit fee and $5 decal fee.

Can I drive a golf cart on city streets?

Driving golf carts on some city streets is permissible if you obtain a permit and follow the city regulations.  The rules and regulations for golf cart operations in the city can be found on our website here.  You can apply for a golf cart permit through our website here, by mail, or by visiting the … Continued

Why does Belmont require foundation surveys for new homes?

Effective March 2019, the City of Belmont requires sealed foundation surveys prior to Gaston County framing inspections for new construction homes in order to ensure compliance with our setback requirements and minimize the costs for corrections if needed.

How can I find out if a property received the proper permits for work being completed?

Our online customer portal allows residents to complete a permit search based on property address, parcel ID#, or contractor name. If you suspect work that requires a permit is being completed without a proper permit in place, please contact our Code Enforcement Officer, Lindsay Yager via email lyager@cityofbelmont.org, or 704-829-4024 . 

How much do permits cost?

The City of Belmont adopts a fee schedule every fiscal year that runs from July 1 through June 30 and outlines our current permit costs.  If you have any questions, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 704-901-2610.  To view the most recent fee schedule visit, www.cityofbelmont.org/feeschedule.

Who handles Flood Plain Reviews in the City of Belmont?

Effective July 1, 2019: All floodplain reviews will be completed by Gaston County Planning and Development Services.  For more information about Developing in the Special Flood Hazard Area, please contact Jena Goodmanvia email at  jena.goodman@gastongov.comor by phone at 704-866-3907.

Where do I go to pull a zoning permit?

Belmont zoning permits can be obtained electronically through our online customer portal.  If you need to visit our office we are located at 1401 E. Catawba Street.

Do I Need a Zoning and/or Building Permit?

New construction and most alterations require a zoning  permit from the City of Belmont and then a building permit from Gaston County Building Inspections.  Please call the Planning Department at 704.901.2610 to discuss your project.

Close window