The Abbey Creek Greenway will be a 1.2 mile trail destination located at the entrance into Gaston County, just as you cross over the Catawba River. This greenway will run along the creek just south of Wilkinson Blvd from E Catawba Street to Park Street, with connections planned to Kevin Loftin Park and Belmont Recreation Center.
- May 2019- City Council approved schematic plans for The Morris at Belmont , which incorporates the design and construction of the portion of the Abbey Creek Greenway within their development area.
- June 2020- City Council unanimously approved ESP's proposal for design services for the Abbey Creek Greenway
- July 2020-The City of Belmont was awarded a $25,000 grant from the Carolina Thread Trail to assist with the preliminary engineering and design of this corridor.
- November 2020- City Council unanimously approved the preliminary alignment with a preference on staying low towards the creek; and approved ESP's proposal for the surveying and hydrology services
- March 2021- ESP completed design development plans for the greenway
- April 2021- City Council unanimously approved ESP's proposal for subsurface exploration, wetlands determination, and construction document preparation
- September 2021- The City of Belmont was awarded a $10,000 grant from the Gaston Community Foundation for the greenway.
- December 2021- The City of Belmont was awarded a $30,000 grant from the Carolina Thread Trail to assist with land acquisition for the greenway.
- April 2022- The City hired THC to assist with land acquisition efforts, and hired goats began clearing the invasive kudzu adjacent to Abbey Creek to assist with visibility of the future trail corridor.
Construction is anticipated to begin in FY2022-2023.