The Utility Billing division is responsible for providing the following services to the businesses and residents of Belmont:
- Answering questions about water and sewer bills
- Assistance with creating new water accounts
- Assistance with stopping water accounts
- Assistance with leak adjustments for qualified water leaks
- Assistance with pool adjustments for qualified service addresses
- Processing payments for water and sewer bills
- Accepting automatic draft requests for water and sewer bills
- Calculating and generating monthly water and sewer bills
- Disconnection of water service for non-payment
New Water Account
Stop Water Account
Water Bill Payment Options
All city offices are currently closed to the public. No in-person bill payments can be made at this time. We offer a variety of payment methods which are listed below.
Pay By Mail
We accept checks and money orders (we do not recommend mailing cash). If you are mailing your payment please make sure to include the name and the account number the payment should be credited to. Please make your payment payable to The City of Belmont and mail it to:
City of Belmont
P.O. Box 431
Belmont, NC 28012
Drop Boxes at City Hall
There are two drop boxes available for customers to pay their water and sewer bills. These boxes are located at our City Hall location 115 N Main St. Both boxes are located at the rear of the building. A drive-up drop box is located at the bottom of the back entrance ramp and a drop slot is located up the ramp to the left of the rear entrance door to City Hall. The drop boxes are checked multiple times each weekday. Any payments left in these boxes after 5pm will not be credited until the following business day.
**When you sign up for automatic draft you will receive $10 off of your next bill**
You can request to have your monthly payment automatically deducted from your bank account. To sign up for automatic draft, please use the Automatic Draft Sign-Up button below.
Current water and sewer customers can sign up for our WaterSmart online portal to pay their bills online. If you are already signed up for WaterSmart, you may use the Pay My Bill button below.
If you are not yet signed up for WaterSmart, you will need your account number and zip code (hint: everyone that has water service in Belmont has a 28012 zip code). You may use the WaterSmart Sign-Up button below to get started.
Disconnection For Non-Payment
To avoid disconnection of water service, your full bill amount must be paid no later than 5pm on the 25th of each month. Any accounts that make payments using the dropbox or online after 5pm on the 25th will still be subject to the $50 delinquent penalty fee and may be considered for cut-off.
It is against the law in the state of North Carolina to tamper with a water meter. If evidence is found that indicates a meter has been tampered with, the current occupant of the property will be fined and held responsible for any damage that occurred to the meter as a result.
What is tampering?
- If your water is shut off for non-payment of a utility bill and you interact with the meter to turn it back on, this is considered tampering.
- If you access the meter box and attempt to manipulate the meter in order to alter meter readings, this is considered tampering.
- If a lock is placed on your meter and you remove this lock, this is considered tampering.
- If you attempt to install any devices onto the meter without prior approval by the City of Belmont, this is considered tampering.
- If you cause any damage to the meter, this is considered tampering.
What are the fines?
- 1st Occurrence: $100
- 2nd Occurrence: $300
- 3rd Occurrence: $489
- Additional Occurrences: Meter will be completely removed and will not be re-instated until a meter set fee is paid.
If you need to speak with a City of Belmont employee about any of the topics listed above, please see the employee list below.