Parks and Street Maintenance

The Parks and Street Maintenance division is responsible for maintaining approximately 150 miles of city streets as well as our City Parks.

This maintenance consists of the following:

  • Repairing concrete curbs and sidewalks
  • Repairing pot holes
  • Resurfacing streets
  • Sweeping all city streets
  • Maintaining the landscaping of City parks, facilities, beautification areas and street rights-of-way
  • Cleaning park bathrooms
  • Maintaining public waste and recycling containers

Street Pic

Street Responsibility

Belmont has many streets that are either owned by the City of Belmont, the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT), or by a private entity.


NCDOT Streets

The major streets that connect to other cities are generally NCDOT streets. These include:

  • Central Avenue
  • Main Street
  • Park Street/Keener Boulevard
  • Wilkinson Boulevard

City Streets

The smaller, local neighborhood streets inside the city limits are City of Belmont streets.

New Streets

When a new development is being built, the streets are built and maintained by the private developer. Once enough houses have been built on that new street and there is less construction traffic, the City of Belmont will consider taking ownership and maintenance responsibilities for the street.

Developer Responsibilities

Before a street can be turned over to the City, the developer must make all repairs to it and must put the final coat of asphalt on it. All sidewalks and surrounding landscaping trees must also be installed and planted. This places that cost on to the developer and not our taxpayers. Almost all of the recent subdivisions have gone through this process, while a few have not yet asked the City of Belmont to take over the streets.

An example of a developer not asking the City of Belmont to take over the streets would be Reflection Pointe, where the streets are private and are owned by the homeowners' association.


If you need to report a problem with one of the streets within Belmont or need to ask a question about potholes or street conditions, please consult the Powell Bill Street Map, which can be found below, in order to determine who you should contact. This map shows all of the streets in Belmont and will indicate which of these are NCDOT streets, City of Belmont streets, and private streets.

Traffic Calming Policy

If you have concerns regarding speeding in your neighborhood and would like to request additional safety devices be installed such as speed humps, speed bumps, additional stop signs, rubble strips, etc,, please review our traffic calming policy.

Powell Bill Document

Report a Problem

If you have already reviewed the Powell Bill document above and determined that the street you would like to report a problem for is a City of Belmont street, you may use the Report a Problem button below. This will direct you to our online reporting portal.

If you would like to speak with a City of Belmont employee about the problem, you may use the Contact button below to be directed to the directory page.

If you have reviewed the Powell Bill document above and determined that the street belongs to the NC Department of Transportation, please use the Contact NCDOT button below.

Close window