As part of the budget process the Belmont City Council has to approved a new budget for the fiscal year. This process started in the spring, and was worked on for months prior to the beginning of the new fiscal year on July 1. The council held a series of public budget workshops to go over the specifics of the proposed budget where they made changes and adjustments before holding the budget public hearing on June 6, 2022. After the budget public hearing the council officially adopt the budget ordinance. Each year the budget has to be approved before June 30 at 11:59 PM.
The Belmont City Council held their budget workshops in April and May. As part of the budget process they also reviewed the Capital Improvements Plan. City Manager Adrian Miller presented the proposed budget to the City Council during these workshops. The minutes for the budget workshops can be viewed by clicking the links below:
The City Manager's budget presentations can be viewed below (click on the images below to view the presentations in their entirety).
Budget Fiscal Year
The City of Belmont budget year runs from July 1 through June 30.
The city budget consists of 4 different funds:
- General Fund - This fund covers most city operations, such as Fire, Parks and Recreation, Police, Streets, and Planning and Zoning.
- Stormwater Fund - This fund provide drainage improvement projects.
- Tourism Fund - This fund promotes Belmont as a tourist destination.
- Water and Sewer Fund - This fund covers the operation and maintenance of the city water and sewer infrastructure and provides drinking water to city customers.
City Budget Process
- The city manager and staff propose an annual budget and present it to the city council for consideration.
- The city is required by North Carolina General Statutes to adopt a balanced city budget by June 30 for the upcoming budget year, following a public hearing on the proposed budget. The city council held the budget public hearing on the FY 2022-2023 budget on June 6, 2022. The City Council considered approval of the budget after the public hearing and adopted the budget by a vote of 4-0. For detailed information on the budget, click on the City Manager's budget message below.